Saturday, August 4, 2007

Blame game

It is always bound to happen, that I will get stuck listening to patrons expound on all sorts of political views and opinions. I try and be polite and try not to argue or debate these views, even when I'm biting the inside of my palm to keep from talking. This afternoon a very nice gentleman asked about a book by an author he had seen on the TV. Then he told me all about this person and his views on the world, namely religion. Religion is bunk, religion is the cause of all our ills, etc...One of this author's main arguments against religion and God was that God didn't stop the Holocaust. I see the argument, I understand it. I don't try and defend God or make up some excuse for the disgusting Holocaust. I remember reading about Elie Wiesel being asked if the Holocaust destroyed his faith in God, he said no because without faith in God all he would have left would be to have faith in man - and he knows first hand the evil man can do. (If I am totally wrong on Wiesel saying that - please let me know.)
I think maybe the better question would be to ask why more humans didn't intervene in the Holocaust. Why didn't we intervene in Rawanda? Why aren't we intervening right now in Darfur? Lets not blame God for our failures.

No comments: